Mount Saint Vincent Motherhouse

 

 
The Sisters of Charity have made their home in this massive building since 1959. The previous Motherhouse, opened in 1873, was destroyed by fire in 1951. In 2001 the Sisters of Charity announced that the Motherhouse no longer suited its needs.  An initial concept to redevelop the Motherhouse building and surrounding lands (Village Park Place) fell through in 2006.  The history of the current project is well documented at the Sister's of Charity Website. "Deconstruction" of the current structure will take place this winter (2008-2009) and a large amount of equipment and infrastructure is either being re-used and incorporated into the new residence, donated to other groups or auctioned off.

Photo above taken April 19, 2008

Photo above taken April 20, 2008

Photo above taken April 20, 2008

Photo above taken April 20, 2008

Photo above taken April 20, 2008

Photo above taken April 20, 2008

Photo above taken April 20, 2008

Photo above taken April 20, 2008

Photo above taken April 20, 2008

Photo above taken April 20, 2008

Photo above taken April 20, 2008

The amazing view from the Mount Saint Vincent Motherhouse

Photo above taken April 20, 2008

The Caritas Residence, as the new home for the Sisters of Charity is to be called, starting to take shape

Some interesting facts about the Motherhouse (Taken from the Sister's of Charity Website)

  • the sod-turning for the current Motherhouse was on May 8, 1956

  • the cornerstone was laid by Most Reverend J. Gerald Berry, then Archbishop of Halifax, on December 8, 1957.

  • the official opening was in October 1959

  • Mount Saint Vincent Motherhouse is a 350,000 square foot building

  • the building covers a ground area of two and one-third acres; 

  • at the time of its construction, it was built on one of the largest foundations in Canada

  • the building contains 1.7 miles of corridor

  • the road around the Motherhouse measures 2,800 feet (more than half a mile)

  • built into the slope, the building is four stories at the front, two at the back

  • 400,000 bricks were used on the courtyard walls; 

  • all exterior walls were finished with Indiana limestone

  • there are 2,000 windows in the building 

  • at the time of construction, 7,000 light fixtures and 12,000 electrical outlets were installed

A Few More facts about this massive construction project:

  • 750 feet of 10 inch water main was laid from Sherbrooke Dr.

  • there were 1800 feet of concrete heating tunnels

  • the building was designed with 3 pharmacies

  • 700 tons of reinforcing steel was used

  • There were 1120 interior doors

 


 

[MAIN PAGE]