St. Lawrence Church, Rectory and Hall

 

3473 Dutch Village Road

 
On August 10, 1947, the first sod was turned for St. Lawrence church.  Before then, catholic families in the Dutch Village/Fairview area had to travel to St. Agnes on Mumford Road. The need for a new parish to serve the area was recognized as early as 1939.  In September of that year, Samuel Butler donated a piece of land on the corner of Dutch Village Road and Percy St., but with the outbreak of war, plans were set aside.  Meanwhile, the population of Fairview grew rapidly and after the war, it was recognized that the Butler property was further north than the area of greatest population growth.  The property eventually chosen for the new Church was purchased from Edith Geizer.  

Construction on the original basement structure church commenced in October 1947, although the winter of 47-48 was particularly harsh and stalled construction progress. The first Mass offered at the new St. Lawrence church was on September 12, 1948.

(click picture for full-size image)

Sod Turning - August 10, 1947.  L to R: Rev. A.B. Leverman, Rev. J.J. Lanigan, Rev. John L. Quinan, Rt. Rev. C.F. Curran, Rev. J.H. Mitchell, Rt. Rev. W.J. Burns, Rev. R. Docherty, Rt. Rev. Michael Cole and Rev. Richard Murphy.

 

(click picture for full-size image)

The St. Lawrence Hall was built by paid labour during the day and by voluntary labour in the evening. Photo above shows evening turnout of volunteers.

 

(click picture for full-size image)

The completed St. Lawrence Hall

(click picture for full-size image)

St. Lawrence under construction - photo taken July 2, 1948.  To the left you can see the old Geizer Homestead which was demolished in 1949.

(click picture for full-size image)

The completed, basement structure St. Lawrence

(click picture for full-size image)

Boundary of St. Lawrence Parish, 1953

 

Random Interesting Facts about St. Lawrence

  • An initial consideration for the name of the parish was "Holy Rosary Parish".  Archbishop McNally eventually decided on the name "St. Lawrence".

  • The initial property chosen for the church was actually the property just north of the eventual site chosen (Hilchie property).  The sod turning actually took place on that site.  Shortly afterward, plans for the church location were changed in favour of the Geizer property.

  • The St. Lawrence Church Hall was officially opened on December 3, 1948.

  • The original kitchen in the Hall was built on the north side and was donated by McDonald Construction.

  • The transformation of St. Lawrence from a basement structure church to the A-frame style was done in 1970-71.

  • The hall was renovated and enlarged in the mid 90's

  • The first "First Holy Communion" class in St. Lawrence Church was celebrated on October 30, 1948. The last "First Holy Communion" celebration took place on May 2, 2010.

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken April 6, 2007

Photo contributed by P. Hamilton

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken April 6, 2007

Photo contributed by P. Hamilton

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken April 6, 2007

Photo contributed by P. Hamilton

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken April 6, 2007

Photo contributed by P. Hamilton

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken April 6, 2007

Photo contributed by P. Hamilton

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken April 6, 2007

Photo contributed by P. Hamilton

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken April 6, 2007

Photo contributed by P. Hamilton

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken April 6, 2007

Photo contributed by P. Hamilton

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken May 18, 2010

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken May 18, 2010

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken May 18, 2010

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken May 18, 2010

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken May 18, 2010

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken May 18, 2010

DEMOLITION UNDERWAY - NOVEMBER 2010

Videos above taken November 15, 2010

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken November 12, 2010

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken November 12, 2010

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken November 12, 2010

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken November 12, 2010

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken November 12, 2010

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken November 15, 2010

(click picture for full-size image)

Photo above taken November 15, 2010


Interested in the development that's going up here?  Click here for info.


 

[MAIN PAGE]