SAINT PATRICK'S HIGH

The Beginning

 

Artists rendering of the new St. Pat's from Downie, Baker and Ahern, Architects-Engineers


As we approach September 2007 we will begin to see a lot about the new Citadel High School.  A new school with all the latest amenities and technology.  But back in December 1954 the buzz was all about the New Saint Patrick's High School.    Here are some quotes from the December 16, 1954 Halifax Mail-Star, under the headline "Newest and Largest St. Patrick's Record":

  • "A curved front and reeded pilasters make an attractive entrance to Saint Patrick's High School."

  • "The front windows are attractively finished with polished aluminum settings and large steel and plate glass doors make an attractive and well lighted entrance"

  • "The labs are equipped with the latest in scientific equipment"

  • "A spacious library library with a capacity of approximately 26,000 volumes..."

  • "The mezzanine floor is attractively finished with a polished aluminum guard rail"

  • "Eight different color schemes are used for the classrooms and all tend to give a bright, colorful atmosphere"

  • "The classrooms are 33' x 23' and each has a front and side black board and three bulletin boards"

  • "The stairways and heavy traffic areas are finished in attractive colors of cement enamel"

See below for photos illustrating the new Saint Pat's:

 

"A curved front and reeded pilasters make an attractive entrance to Saint Patrick's High School."

"large steel and plate glass doors make an attractive and well lighted entrance"

"The labs are equipped with the latest in scientific equipment"

"The classrooms are 33' x 23' and each has a front and side black board and three bulletin boards"

Another noted feature of the new school was the auditorium. The following quotes appeared in the Mail Star of December 16, 1954 under the headline "Well Equipped Stage Feature Of Auditorium":

  • "Theatre productions of the highest calibre will be at home on the spacious and well equipped stage in Halifax's newest auditorium at Saint Patrick's High School"

  • "The stage area is equipped with floodlights and border lights, all dimmer controlled and easily operated"

  • "The auditorium proper is built to give a full  view of the stage from any point with a small balcony and a seating capacity of 1060"

  • "The auditorium is lighted with recess lighting and neon lighting floods the step ceiling"

"The auditorium is lighted with recess lighting and neon lighting floods the step ceiling"

The opening ceremony for St. Pat's took place in the new school's auditorium on Friday December 17, 1954.  Featured events were the usual unveiling of the plaque and acceptance of the key to the school by the principal.  Featured guests included:

  • Hon. R.M. Fielding, Minister of Municipal Affairs (Guest Speaker)

  • Most Rev. Gerald Berry, Archbishop of Halifax

  • Mrs. H. St. G Woodill, Chairman of the Board of School Commissioners

  • Mayor R.A. Donahoe

  • H.R. Wyman, vice-chairman of the School Board and chairman of its School Sites and Buildings Committee

  • F.W. Coolen, principal

  • R.E. Marshall, School Supervisor

  • Sister Rose Catherine, associate principal

  • L.B. Hannon, principal Queen Elizabeth High School

F.W. Coolen and Sister Rose Catherine, principal and associate principal of the new St. Patrick's High School


I was lucky enough to obtain some correspondence regarding  the Saint Patrick's High School Coat of arms.  Below are two letters: the first, dated 27 October 1953, is from Sir Thomas Innes of Learny, the Lord Lyon King of Arms.  The letter describes the Coat of Arms for St. Pat's.  Some terms you might find helpful when reading this letter:

  • The Court of the Lord Lyon is the heraldic authority for Scotland

  • Blason means either the codified description of a coat of arms or the coat of arms itself

  • Lozenge -  A diamond-shaped bearing, usually with its upper and lower angles slightly acute

  • Livery colours are normally of the principal tinctures (colour) of the arms

  • Trefoil - A charge representing the three-leaved clover

  • Saltire - One of the honorable ordinaries. It is made in the form of a St. Andrew's cross, or the letter X.

  • Gules - Red

The second letter, dated April 6, 1954, is from Forbes Thrasher to Sister Rose Catherine and Frederick W. Coolen regarding the coat of arms.

 

 


Finally, some of the companies involved in the construction of the new St. Pat's were as follows:

 

  • W.H. Noonan Limited - Structural Steel, Cut Stone, Ornamental Iron and Aluminum

  • Dominion Sound Equipments Limited - Acoustical Ceilings, Sound Program System, Auditorium Chairs

  • Wagg and Woodworth Limited - Painting and Decorating

  • Cleveland Industries Limited - Gym Equipment

  • Downie, Baker and Ahern - Architects and Engineers

  • Guildfords Limited - Pipe Covering, Seafelt Insulation

  • Foundation Maritime Limited - General Contractors